Friday, December 23, 2011

A Merry Christmas Wish to Our Friends and Family and a Recap of 2011~

This season, I sit in the soft light of our Christmas tree, in the warmth of the fireplace, Maddy on my toes, Jake by my side, my little Lily sound asleep in her bed and soft kicks to my belly. I feel overwhelming grateful. I'm grateful to the One who has blessed our lives and I'm grateful to each one of you who have truly touched my life this year. Whether it was a playdate, lunch outing, long distance phone call, skype chat, written exchange, or even a tender childhood memory, my life and all this year's experiences have been enriched because of you. Thank you.

I'm realizing the first couple years of life are so precious for many reasons, one of which, it's the moment in life for 'first times' everything. It's too bad we don't experience those moments as adults because this year when I saw Lily's eyes light up at the sight of airplanes at the airport, waves on the ocean, the way she began to recognize people, how she looks at me when I get her from her nap and how she beams at her daddy when he comes home from work, I thought to myself 'wow, I wish she could feel that amount of excitement and happiness always" at the sight of these things. Maybe she will. It was a year of firsts for me too. Being a new mom has changed everything; my daily doings, my outlook on so many things, most of me. Things I never thought I could give up but have found myself leaping at the opportunity to do so if it means I'd get one more smile, one more giggle, one more minute with Lily, one more memory as a family. Silly things also- I don't think I've ever said the words "table scape" before in my life until this year. But this year I started planning our Thanksgiving table scape in August. What was this sudden obsession with holiday decor and scents and foods? I found myself wanting to make every holiday as special and memorable as possible. I love holidays. I love that Halloween of all holidays brings you together more so with your community than any other day of the year. People you never met, people you rarely see, walking up to your home as a family, exchanging small but genuine conversation. It's the one holiday that gets us out of our homes and makes us talk to our neighbors (which in the PNW can be especially challenging considering the rainy weather). I love the traditional cheesy round robin at the Thanksgiving dinner table, everyone mentioning something they are thankful for. I put real thought into it this year and was taken back when I found that there was just so much to list. And now, as Christmas is upon us, the faces of people we love so dearly adorn our mantel. Tiny faces that were just born this year or the few previous years are just as beautiful as are their proud parents' faces beaming next to them. I may just leave these Christmas cards up year round.

It's been a busy year. Jake will give me a talking to for this mini excerpt but as his biggest enthusiast, I feel compelled. He's worked so diligently this year and I'm proud of him. Microsoft awarded him several trips, one of which landed us in Maui and ironically back at the very same beach and hotel we spent our honeymoon at 2 years prior. Of course being there now with a toddler and me having been 2 months into the throws of morning (rather all day) sickness made the trip a wee bit different than the experience we had previously but it was Maui and we were together and it was a wonderful first family vacation. Lily and Jake spent hours in the kiddie pool as I sat at the edge of my seat trying to keep my mouth shut but eyes open as she was tossed into the air and dunked in the water. Those two have reached new highs of being great together and it was a wonderful experience to sit in the background and watch. So Jake has been a stellar Microsoft employee this year but I know his favorite job is just being 'Daa'. What a cool thing to watch Jake's and Lily's relationship fully explode this year.

Microsoft also invited us out to Denver for an award for Jake and we were able to meet one of my oldest dearest friends' newborn. Between the Denver trip and a Florida trip, we were finally able to introduce Lily to my oldest and dearest friends. On the rare occasions I see these friends' faces, I see myself as a child. I see us as young kids so far from being grown up. So to be able to introduce them to Lily, it was really awesome... somehow making my 'new' life that much more 'real' if that makes any sense. To be able to prop up Lily and one of my oldest dearest friend's baby girl next to each other to snap a photo... it brought tears to my eyes. My best friend and I cried when she finally got to meet Lily while other good friends teased (and rightly so) they didn't think it was possible for me to be any more sentimental but motherhood has made all this sap possible.

While in Florida, we visited Jake's family and some sunshine which was lovely. Lily was overjoyed by ceiling fans, ocean waves, Katy (and herbed) and of course her grandparents who loved on her every moment they had. We made a trip to Tennessee a few months ago for Luke & Christina's wedding (Jake's brother and lovely sister in-law) It was really nice to be able to introduce Lily to more welcoming family and witness a new marriage.


Lily has been busy all on her own this year too. Anyone who is a parent understands the explosion of growth that happens in the first year of life. Some highlights -her first food was kiwi fruit, her first word (besides mom and dad) was tickle. She stood on her own for the first time at her 1st birthday party (a business card clinched between her teeth) and when she began walking soon after, she had to be holding something (preferably a leaf) in her hands or in her mouth. Now she is trying to say a lot more, she'll attempt to say the first syllable of almost anything you ask her to. You can get her to do just about anything as long as the request follows the words and tune of the song, "If you're happy and you know it"... give mom a kiss, spin in circles, laugh out loud. She loves her extended family very much. She gets to see her cousins every weekend, "Ooohhhh" and "Ellllllll" and her "Basch" (Bachan) and "Eeemy" (Emily) every week for lunch. We get to skype with Jake's parents and Katy often as well and she gets to sing songs with them. She has a special bond with "Kake" (Katy) and carries her photo with her throughout the day. Her favorite song is Old MacDonald. She does the "ee i ee i oh" and animal sounds parts. Her first sentence has been "I want that", we are working very hard to sneak in a 'please', but so far, have been unsuccessful.

I had a surprise visitor for my 30th birthday. I was told to pick up a mystery guest from the airport on x date at x time. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her, what a memory, flying all the way from New Zealand to celebrate another year of friendship together and meet my Lily. Growing up is so interesting, I guess I am just realizing now that it never stops. When I was a kid, I remember thinking I had to do so much growing up to finally turn 10, to finally start high school, to finally turn into an adult. I guess I always thought it just stopped there, maybe once I hit my mid 20's or something. Nope, I feel in some ways I've done the most growing up in this past year.

Being Lily's mom, being Jake's wife of two years now, expecting our second daughter and Lily's sister, I am so thankful to be 'here' tonight. So as you all celebrate your Christmas, in the light of your tree, in the warmth of your family and friends, we bid you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment